In 1819, the Grand Master of the United Grand Lodge of England, the Duke of Sussex, visited Bath to take part in the dedication of a new purpose-built Masonic Hall in York Street. He was accompanied by over 800 Freemasons in a grand parade through the centre of Bath.
Fast forward 199 years to Sunday 30th September 2018 when Freemasons, once again, processed in formal regalia through the streets of Bath, in celebration of the 250th anniversary of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Somerset, formed in 1768. The picture shows the current, and 17th, Provincial Grand Master, Stuart Hadler accompanied by members of the Fraternity being serenaded on their way.
They departed from what has been the Fraternity’s Bath home for more than 150 years, The Old Theatre Royal in Old Orchard Street, to revisit that first Masonic Hall, now the Friends’ Meeting House, where they were joined by civic dignitaries and treated to a presentation on the 250 year history of The Province of Somerset by local historian, and published author, Malcolm Toogood, a Past Master of the Elizabethan Lodge – one of seven Freemasons’ Lodges in Bath.
Afterwards a cheque for £1,000 was presented to representatives of the Bath Quakers towards the upkeep of their significant and treasured building.
Freemasons parade through Bath to celebrate Provincial Grand Lodge of Somerset 250 years
Posted by Paul Mallon on Sunday, 30 September 2018